Hello and welcome to this week’s Festival of Frugality!
This past weekend, my family held a yard sale. My kids were encouraged to go through their things and sell what didn’t fit or get played with. They were both told they could keep the money they made. My 3 year old son already knew what he wanted to spend his on the moment he got a few dollars in his tiny little fist. My 5 year old daughter couldn’t wait to purposefully browse Target’s shelves until she saw something she liked.
My son returned home with a remote control truck and my daughter with a piggy bank to put the rest of her saved money in and to add to. Both different, yet the same. In my mind frugality isn’t just about pinching pennies. It’s about enjoying the things we love while saving for a rainy day. I do believe my kids did well in this lesson with money.
Here are this week’s Editor’s Picks from the submissions:
- My piggy banking daughter must’ve read this article from Free From Broke, It’s a Drop in the Bucket.
- J Money at Budgets Are Sexy says Just Because It’s Expensive Doesn’t Mean It’s Good.
- Ryan at Cash Money Life tells us How To Sell Your Car on Craigslist. A great guide I’ll be putting to use very soon.
- Donna Freedman shares in an excellently written article her views on wedding gifting in The Wedding Gift as Price of Admission.
- Squirrlers posts about frugality gone too far in Starlight, Starbright.
The Best of the Rest
- Kristina presents What Have You Cut in the Last 2 years? posted at Dual Income No Kids.
- 10 Ways to Cope With a Budget Shortfall from Funny About Money
- Mrs. Not Made of Money presents 4 Tips To Keep Your Hobby Expenses In Check posted at Not Made Of Money.
- FMF presents 10 Things to Buy in Bulk posted at Free Money Finance.
- MoneyNing presents What You Need to Know About CSAs Before Joining posted at Money Ning.
- and on the flipside: Mrs. Accountability presents I Joined a Food Coop and I’m Glad I Did posted at Out of Debt Again.
- MD presents How Rich Do You Want to Be? posted at studenomics.
- Steven and Debra presents The Homeowner’s Dilemma: To Amputate or To Suck-it-Up and Take One for the Team posted at The END TIMES Hoax
- PT presents The Best Online Stock Brokers For Cheap Stock Trading posted at PT Money.
- Penny presents Frugal Sick Days posted at Penniless Parenting.
- jim presents International Restaurant Tipping Guide posted at Wanderlust Journey.
- Bucksome presents Internet Savings: Giveaways posted at Buck$ome Boomer’s Journey to Retirement.
- Lakita | Personal Finance Journey presents Save Tons of Money on Family Vacation posted at Personal Finance Journey.
Thanks for visiting this week’s festival! Enjoy the links!